A little insight

I am an avid thinker. I try and make a difference in the lives of people around me. I make people laugh. My blogs might seem more on the serious side but don't let it fool you into thinking that I am a serious person. I am known more for my quick wit and ability to tickle ribs. I am also very passionate about parenting.
Anyway, as you read along, try and comment. It might just encourage me...



Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Working Woman

Now everybody who knows me, knows how eager I have been to get back to work; but on my own terms. I probably could not have talked more about anything else in the past three years. Prior to conceiving my daughter, I had worked with various corporates for about 10 years. I was surprised at the ease with which I fit into my role as a full-time parent. It shocked many of my co-workers, that I had taken a sabbatical. They laughed it off by saying that I would crawl back in 6 months time. Surprising, that 6 years later, I am still comfortable being just a mom. Ok, granted I had my moments when I wanted to kick the dusting cloth, laundry and cooking etc and just get back to work, but I stuck anyways.

With Neha hitting full-day school this year, I knew that my days in the sun were about to end. For my second innings, I wanted a job that I enjoyed. A job that did not demand endless meetings, crappy coffee, 24/7 dedication, being stuck in traffic, struggling to make it for PTA’s etc. I was so clear that I wanted to be there for my daughter when she gets back, hot fresh meals for the family, house in good order, etc (You see, the OCD is not likely to go away that soon). My husband thought that I was kidding myself and soon lost hope that I would ever get back to work.

As the days passed, even I thought I was kidding myself. But I relentlessly looked out anyways. But Wednesday’s classifieds kept calling out to me. I mostly give that section a miss because the kind of job that I am looking for, almost never gets featured there. But surprise of surprises, there it was. After the initial hesitation of ‘can I do it?, ‘Is it really worth it?, and stuff, I quickly send in my resume. In an hours time, I got a response! The liked my profile and wanted to meet me. The meeting went well, they asked me to send in a sample of my work. They liked that too. People, I am hired!!!! And I get to work from home!!! Granted that the pay is not the greatest, but I get to try my hand at something new. I walked away from that meeting with a full understanding that both parties are testing the waters. Which is good enough for me!!! This is going to be a good launch pad.

Before the above news could have come in, my friend just dropped in on Saturday morning. She is usually busy and normally never drops in and that too without calling. I knew then that this was something important. And it was. She wants to me join her in training. Again, totally do-able, and requires only 2 or three hours of my time, 5 days a week. Now, how awesome is that??!!! I am still pinching myself in disbelief.

Now you might all be itching to know what the two profiles are all about, I will let you know soon, Let me just start out and see how it goes. I am just happy with the opportunities and crossing my fingers, hoping that both will work out well.

14 comments:

Reflections said...

Very happy for u Bins.....hope everything goes like how u want it to:-)).

My Kitchen Antics said...

congrats...ul do great, im sure

Swaram said...

Wow congrats .. thatz gr8 news :)
My best wishes with u :)
But eh, house in order and hot meals r nt difficult even in other jobs ;) ;)

A said...

Congrats Girl, I am so happy for you :-)

Garima said...

Good luck for both your profiles...I am sure you will rock it. It's amazing that you reached out and struck gold. A job that you like with your hours and still be around for the family.

Nupur said...

Awesome news :) Congratulations on both the assignments :)

Good Luck Working women :)

divya said...

Hey..congratulations!! Knew you would get it. So happy for you. Hope it all works out just the way you want it.

Swaram said...

Disappeared again Bins?

WannabeWriter said...

This is wonderful! Congratulations! And Rock it girl!

Jane said...

Thrilled you're getting back on track. All the very best to you!

colours said...

Congrats! That is so great. I am sure you will be happy in both cases. So enjoy yourself - hope to hear periodically from you on the blog too.

Corinne Rodrigues said...

Congratulations....wish you good luck!

UmaS said...

Congrats to you. I am so happy for you. Wish I could do the same !!! sigh !!!

Lakshmi said...

This is really great news Bins... You must already be quite busy with both these gigs... Best wishes and waiting to hear more.