A little insight

I am an avid thinker. I try and make a difference in the lives of people around me. I make people laugh. My blogs might seem more on the serious side but don't let it fool you into thinking that I am a serious person. I am known more for my quick wit and ability to tickle ribs. I am also very passionate about parenting.
Anyway, as you read along, try and comment. It might just encourage me...



Friday, April 2, 2010

My lil' girl!




Yes, I did take another long break, didn’t I? It started with me being upset over something, then I took a break and visited Vizag. Travelling to me is hard work. I am not a travel person anymore. All journeys seem tiresome. But I definitely have learned to pack better.

One good thing is that now I know that it is easier to travel with my daughter. She was an absolute darling on this trip. There are some things that Neha accepts very easily. For a 6 year old she is rather mature in her understanding of relationships and the unchangeable aspects of life and death. Her family bonds are very strong and though she will not easily warm up to neighbors or family friends that easily, once I tell her that someone is related to us, she lets her guard down and mingles with them like she’s known them for years.

On the over night train journey back from Vizag, she was at her ultimate best. We had a whale of a time. She would hail all the hawkers who walked through the train. They would look at me thinking I would buy their stuff and I would say ‘no’. There was this elderly couple who thoroughly enjoyed her antics.

Suddenly she asks me, “Mamma, How old was Thatha (Paternal grandfather)?

Me: 67

Neha: Ok. So when we are 67, we will die?

Me: (Knowing where all this is heading) Maybe.

Neha: Ok. So first Pappa will die, then you, then me, right?

Me: (not wanting to elaborate too much) Kind of. We can’t really say.

Now I am really not prepared for what follows. :D

Neha : Ok. Ok. So do one thing, mamma. You give me the keys.

Me: KEYS?? What Keys?

Neha: You know, keys to the house and bike. Also, teach me how to ride the bike, so that I can manage easily.

Me: (impressed as hell) You don’t want the car keys?

Neha: That I will learn eventually. First teach me how to ride the bike!


Neha was exposed to the harsh reality of death when my F-I-L passed away last May. I explained to her just as much as a 5 year old would need to know. I expected nightmares and stuff because we had the body at home for 3 full days, but Neha did not probe too much. Neither did she wake up in cold sweat. She accepted death as an eventuality. She did ask me how she would manage, if I were to die and told me that she did not want me to die. But other than that, there were no real concerns.

Her sense of humor is getting sharper by the day. After waking up, we normally spend a few minutes in bed, cuddling. Yesterday morning, she tell me that, “My name is Neha and I really have to go to the toilet.” Like the line in the movie My Name is Khan, “My name is Khan and I am not a terrorist.” I laughed so hard, I had tears.

By the way, did you all watch that movie? I thought it was exceptional!

15 comments:

Nupur said...

Neha looks sooooo cute :) And the first photo is yours ? wow :)

children these days are a bit faster and I guess easy to manage since they understand the logic..but sometimes they might get on your nerves cause they too much for their age..Parents have to balance a lot :) And you are doing a good job :)

My Kitchen Antics said...

really...was it good..a fried told us so but all the reviews are negative..
ur girl is adorable

Agnes said...

First things first: I LOVE YOUR PHOTO. You're very pretty.

Secondly, Neha is a comedian I am telling you :-)

And lastly, I was getting worried... you weren't around, Nancy wasn't around...

Anonymous said...

Neha is indeed quite smart and a mischievous angel !!! I just miss her so much !!!

I like the way you add pics and make it look lovely.

BTW, have u taught her to drive the bike and given her a set of keys ???? LOL, only Neha can think like that.

Love her pic with the teddies.

Suree said...

hey welcome back...

neha is really exceptional...:)

Swaram said...

Oh so u r bk! Welcome and pls dont disappear again!

Neha is a darling ... y dnt u let me meet her hmmpf!

G S D said...

Great to see you back...was wondering where you'd gotten to.

You do have a beautiful daughter.
and you don't look too bad yourself either!!

RSP said...

Ha Ha Neha is one smart girl!
And I do agree how cumbersome it is to travel. And more so for me coz I have double trouble!

WannabeWriter said...

Neha is really funny! Would love to meet her! And you! Do inform when you next make a visit to your brother's place! :)

Reflections said...

Children are more resilient than we think but having said tht I'm not so sure Nikita or Naina wd take it quite so matter of factly..its making me wonder now how I'm going to explain. In India every other day there is a wedding or a birth or death happening around us but here in dubai its so different...sort of living in a cage;-/

I saw the movie and liked it....a lot but wdnt go as far as to say exceptional;-D

Lakshmi said...

Neha is a darling, she is linking her thoughts together and is making choices. Very cute. It is so nice to hear about how she guards family ties, very lucky girl.

S asked me once whether she can decide how to divide the things in the house between her and A if we die!

That is a great smile you have in this snap :)

colours said...

That is a happy picture of both of you. Welcome back but are you catching the illness from Wannabe & me?

Happy Vishu.

Kelvy said...

hiiii...nice post...Neha looks so cute and u r lookin good too.... i know i am back after a long time....had a lot to catch up.... so was reading all the posts i missed..... ahhh i am already at wits end with my little son....cant imagine wat i hav in store fo me...

Reflections said...

High time u posted something.

A said...

Where are you Girl??????