A little insight

I am an avid thinker. I try and make a difference in the lives of people around me. I make people laugh. My blogs might seem more on the serious side but don't let it fool you into thinking that I am a serious person. I am known more for my quick wit and ability to tickle ribs. I am also very passionate about parenting.
Anyway, as you read along, try and comment. It might just encourage me...



Saturday, February 27, 2010

Thoughts and Actions

The other day, I watched the movie Kurbaan. Typical of all such movies, it left me very disturbed. The movie centers around terrorism, a love story woven into it. For those who have not seen the movie, it is about a girl who falls in love with a guy. They are both professors at a university. The girl gets an offer at NYU. They get married and move to New York. All things seem fine up until her husband’s real identity dawns on the girl.

Would I turn in somebody I knew? I did not need to waste too much time thinking. I would. Without a moment’s doubt, I’d do the right thing and turn the person in. I do not believe that anybody has the right to harm people at any level. I do believe there is a way out of this mess. Killing innocent people is just not the way.

Yes, I do believe that injustice has been done to them, and they were victims at some point. These days, a lot of movies portray the softer sides to the elements that terrorize and kill people. The movie New York itself was a classic example of how innocent people go down that road. For every innocent person that is tortured in the name of terrorism, there are these groups that are waiting for them to be released from custody, just so they can cash in on their wounds while it is still raw. I wish there were groups that would do the opposite and help them live their lives with dignity.

But then the story of the movie was not what I wanted to write about. Neither do I want to start a debate on terrorism. It has been done to death. There is only so much that can be done when people are willing to blow themselves up for a cause. When there is no fear, it is scary.

While I was watching the movie, a thought occurred to me. I wondered that if I were to suspect somebody on grounds of terrorism, who should I alert? Just say, that there is this somebody whose activities are suspicious. I mean there is no real reason outwardly, but there is this gut feel that something is just not right. I may be wrong but if you watch the programs on 9/11 etc, though the gut instinct was there, the people concerned did not act on it.

I chewed on that thought the whole day. I doubt if the local police station is the way to go. I doubt if they have the sensibility to take up such a serious issue and alert the right people. And then again, I would not want any attention on myself. I would want it to be handled with tact. So who should I be alerting? I am sure all of us should have such information ready at hand in times of need.

12 comments:

Reflections said...

Hmmmm....good question; honestly these r things all of us need to know.

Sraboney said...

A good question - who to alert? If you go to the local police station, the officers in their chaddis will either shoo you away or put you behind bars thinking you are guilty of whatever you suspect...That's why Indians avoid talking to the police...
Do let us know if you find an answer...

Reflections said...

For every innocent person that is tortured in the name of terrorism, there are these groups that are waiting for them to be released from custody, just so they can cash in on their wounds while it is still raw. I wish there were groups that would do the opposite and help them live their lives with dignity.

So so agree with this!!!!

Agnes said...

Well, I guess you can always look the most wanted list on the internet and see if you recognize anyone. I assume there's a way to contact the CIA via their site?

Now I wanna see Kurbaan!

Anonymous said...

Yes, these terrorists leave a bitter experience around us - as a revenge for some bitter experience they had !!!

Whaatt ??? Who to alert ???? I would think the police station - but I dont think we have helpline or something for that !!!!

Geeks, woman, you scare me with these kind of thots !!!!

Butterfly said...

@all of u who have already commented/anybody who is yet to read:

I really want to know either numbers/websites. Anything. Can one just access the CIA's site like that?

It scares me to do that for some reason, though there is nothing I have to hide. I just want to know if there is any place I can go incase I have to.

colours said...

On the other hand we also really need to be careful about our suspicions. A person's life and their family's life could be completely crashed if the suspicion were to be untrue.

I believe after 9/11 a lot of people were subjected to unjust scrutiny just because the neighbours were just suspicious of their activities.

Now another question? How can we move from suspicion to certainity? I do not know the answer.

Lakshmi said...

What a post Bins.. I wish I knew the answer too. I will check your comments for any updates...

Swaram said...

I wish there were groups that would do the opposite and help them live their lives with dignity - Well said Bins.

As many ppl hv said above, its indeed scary to approach the police as u never know hw they will treat u.

There ws this huge noise nr our place sometime bk ..@ 1 a.m. Though we were almost sure, it ws crackers at a shaadi or so, we called up the Police Control room and they did come and asked the party to shut shop as it ws too late. I hv called them for probs with auto drivers etc.. and am glad they hv been gud until nw atleast. Hd got this no. and that of the CBI from a local daily during those terror alerts.

Tan said...

I am here for the first time...Hoped in from Reflections... You have definitely asked a valid question. I had never thought about something like this...Will keep coming back here for the info :)

ra said...

wish i knew the answer to ur question...

but surely ur blog re-opens all those memories that each 1 of us has gone thru in the past...still seeing all that has happened in front of us and may happen in future ...v just cant do anything....v r victim of our own system....

Preethi said...

I read your post and was compelled to leave a sensible reply.... you know a number or a website etc....I googled! Was unsuccessful.... So wanted to say 2 things here... 1. When you see a suspicious activity, you may not know that it is a terrorist plot as opposed to any other plot, so you would go to the police station first. 2. In case you are 100% sure that you've stumbled upon a terrorist plot, you should reach somebody in the police force through a personal reference as it happens in India as opposed to emergency lines in other developed countries. Given that you want to maintain anonymity as much as possible, that'll be the way to go... hope it helped to some extent.