A little insight

I am an avid thinker. I try and make a difference in the lives of people around me. I make people laugh. My blogs might seem more on the serious side but don't let it fool you into thinking that I am a serious person. I am known more for my quick wit and ability to tickle ribs. I am also very passionate about parenting.
Anyway, as you read along, try and comment. It might just encourage me...



Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Reproductive Rights - The right to say 'No'

This post is an entry into a contest by Indus Ladies to celebrate International Women's Day. For more details, please click here.



Mom, Dad and you, have this one life and so do I. You must explain to me why I should suffer the consequences of the choice you made for your life. Yes, since you are my mother, you suffer too, but you can only see my misery. You cannot feel it like I do. Since I was a young baby, I have undergone several surgeries on my feet to be able to walk the way I do today. I thank you for getting those surgeries done, but God alone knows the quality of genes that I have in my body because of your decision to go ahead with a consanguineous marriage. I don’t know if I can ever lead a fully normal life. Who would like to marry me knowing that I am the product of a marriage of two close relatives? It is common scientific knowledge that such children carry defective genes that lie dormant and if paired with another complimentary gene, manifests itself in their children. The consequences can be disastrous.


When you married, you were too young to know the consequences of such a marriage and discovered what the outcome was, when I came along. The doctors advised you and informed you that my condition was common in children from consanguineous marriages. 14 years later, you have decided to go ahead with another baby? Did you not think it was important to seek the necessary medical help? Did you think it was important to consult some expert in the field of genetic disorders before you decided to have a baby? Even after you conceived, did you not think of getting some relevant tests done? Though you knew that something was just not right about him, my brother was almost two when you discovered that he is suffering from Phenylketonuria. Another genetic disorder, from a consanguineous marriage.


Mom, as a woman, you have the right to decide whether you want to go ahead with a pregnancy or not. Agreed, that your husband wanted another baby. But you also have the right to an opinion. There was no need to bring that baby into this world. You should have armed yourself with knowledge before embarking on that journey.

Everyday his suffering is going to increase as he is growing up. He will also want to eat normal food like normal kids. He will hate you for the tasteless formula that has to be combined with the other ‘acceptable’ foods that he can eat. And, he has to have that kind of food, his whole life! Eating anything out of the ordinary can mean mental retardation. It is going to be a tremendous challenge, not just for you, but him more importantly. It is like walking on glass all your life.


Will I ever be able to marry and lead a ‘normal’ life? Will my brother survive his condition? My life and that of my brother’s will always be replete with suffering just because you did not have the courage to say ‘No.’



The thoughts that are echoed above are that of a young girl who had clubbed feet as a result of consanguineous marriage. She has a brother who was born with phenylketonuria.


This is a true story.


I tag Reflections, The M.I.L. Chronicles and The Song of Life to participate in this contest, create awareness and make this contest a huge success.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats so touching from the girl's point of view.

But parents need to know the repurcussions of consanguineous marriages, now that we are scientifically more advanced. Why shld the children suffer ??? Is the parent happy to see such a child ????

Great post !!!

Agnes said...

Just to make sure I got this right, this is not your story, Bins, right? But you know this person and her brother?
Well, be that as it may, I agree with your post. Fully.

Butterfly said...

Umsreflections: Well, I wrote it from her point of view. I am sure she has these feelings. Who would not?

Agnes: No. Not my story. But yes, I do know these people. It is an awful sight really. More than 90% of their life is spent with doctors and medication. What a situation to be in. It is an awful choice that those people made by marrying their daughter into the family. Now they all collectively regret it. But what is the point. You have not brought one, but two people into the world who are going to suffer all their lives.

Chatterbox said...

Wonderful thought provoking post Butterfly.
It isn't an issue we read or talk about often. I am glad you brought this up to create awareness.

It's my first visit to your blog and I enjoying myself at your blog.

Keep up the good work :)

Cheers!!

G S D said...

Woman, you want me to match that? That's too emotional even for me!! But try I shall.

Reflections said...

Like GGS I echo, hard-hitting post Bins......an issue which has to be given more weight. In India these marriages are so common, the problems are so obvious even then the practice is continued.

Reflections said...

U told me u tagged me, what u didnt tell was tht today was the last date for submission. Just found out now;-/

Swati said...

Sad :( Nicely expressed

Preethi said...

What a waste! Bringing 2 such lives into an already imperfect world! Nicely done post Bins...... As I understand, this could happen for two reasons, the woman is not well-educated and the man is not economically well placed and the second reason being, they would want to preserve the family property. It was rampant in ancient egyptian royalty exactly for this reason. So it was not due to 'love' or anything but convenience! They should be punished if you ask me....

Destination nowhere said...

A very touching post...

Swaram said...

Sigh! U hv touched upon an issue which so many of us probably conveniently ignore :(
I can't believe people can commit such a mistake the second time arnd :( Am sure they will hv their own dreams abt hvng a happy family et...al, but who wud want their kids to suffer this way :( I just hope the 2 kids get to lead a better life. A gr8 eye-opener Bins.
Thanks for the tag and am sorry I cud nt do it :(

PNA said...

Hoped the mother had a say in not getting married to the man she did and then in her conception! Ignorance is only bliss until the reality hits u

Touched the right chords I say Butterfly

cya
Ashes

Lakshmi said...

Bins, This was a great post, opening our eyes to something that is not really stressed. I was definitely not aware of details of such repurcussions. Thanks for educating us. And I feel really sad; ignorance can be disastrous.