A little insight

I am an avid thinker. I try and make a difference in the lives of people around me. I make people laugh. My blogs might seem more on the serious side but don't let it fool you into thinking that I am a serious person. I am known more for my quick wit and ability to tickle ribs. I am also very passionate about parenting.
Anyway, as you read along, try and comment. It might just encourage me...



Wednesday, February 17, 2010

It ain't funny!


Though many people tell me that I have immense patience, personally I feel that I have the patience of an active volcano. I am the telling-what’s-on-my-mind-and-getting-on-with-it-types. My husband is the bury-it-all-in-the-crevices-of-the-mind-and-screw-up-your-own-health kinds. The Capricorn that I am and the Taurus that my daughter is, we have this highly explosive relationship. One minute we are practically tearing each other up and the next we are cuddling and having a whale of a time. My husband is thoroughly confused. In the beginning he would step in and try and call the shots. But then one glare from the both of us and he would have no choice but to back off. The whole sight is so funny.

I am the planning and strategy kind of person and my daughter is the strategy killer. I mean she will take all my hours of planning and shove it down the drain, without as much as a thought. And then I am left at the drawing board once again. The other day, she got this question paper that she was to solve at home. It was the regular stuff that has been covered in school so many times. So when she asked me a question, I told her that by now she must be so used to this and that she should figure it out. Then as I went on with my work, there was silence. I thought that she was busy tackling the paper. Now I must at this stage tell you that my daughter likes to think that she is agile and smart. (She actually is!) But I am her sharp mamma with super sharp sense of sight, hearing etc. I heard the sound of the chair moving ever so lightly and then Neha whizzing from the table to the place where her bag was kept. It took me another nano-second to figure out what was going on. She was quickly taking a sneak-peak at her book and dashing to the table to write the answers!!! Cheeky little monster!! Look at that kid! She is always looking at ways to outsmart me. And I am soooo freaked out. Now I can see nothing as ordinary. Remember Mr. Wilson in Dennis the Menace? :D

Yesterday, my neighbour and I was discussing about how to get rid of this rat that we sighted near our plants. Neha immediately told us that we should not kill rats. We had the Why look. “We should not kill rats. Rats are also hooman beings like us!” I explained to her later what we found so funny but not before we were practically on the floor laughing.

Whenever I want to drive home a point, like say talking to strangers etc., it does not register in Neha’s mind. She had this don’t-give-me-that-bull shit look. So I started this trend of telling stories about some character ( 100% non-existent) from my childhood who suffered because of not following the rules. I thought that it drove home the point better. One day I was telling her one such made-up story when she asked me, “Mamma, are any of your friends alive?? Everybody from your childhood seems to have died of something or the other.” And in fact the other day, it was my husband’s story telling time and I heard Neha tell him, “ Pappa, do you know that when mamma was a little girl, weird things happened to all her friends! Do you know any such stories?”

My younger brother, who Neha has minimal contact with, seems to be the sufferer in most stories related to handling sharp objects like scissors, kitchen knives etc. So just when she picked up a hammer the other day, I said, “Neha, put that down right away. You can get hurt real bad.” Her response left me wonder-eyed whether I should bother with such tactics any more. “What mamma? Did your brother get hurt with this too?”

Don’t laugh, you guys!! Life is cruel!


16 comments:

Reflections said...

LOL I can just imagine ur exaggerated expressions and her curious interest;-D

Lakshmi said...

Glad to see you Bins with that great smile ;)

Neha is super smart, figuring out a way around things. Reminds me of a story with S. One morning S was taking a long time in her room and comes out with an easy sudoku puzzle telling me she solved it. For a second I was excited at her smartness; but it did not take me long to figure out that she had copied it from the answer keys in the back!

I love trying to convey messages through stories, it works very well. But your poor bro ;)

Anonymous said...

I was stunned to see ur pic on this blog !!! Very nice !!!

I liked the way you've described the capri and taurus characters - ROFL !!!!

Neha is such a naughty little thing and she outsmarts you most of the times, right ????

All the incidents made me laughing out aloud and increased my desire to see her !!!!

LOL @ rats being hoooman beings !!!

More LOL @ all ur childhood frnds are dead in a weird way !!!! My God, what stories you tell her !!!

Agnes said...

LOL Bins, LOL!

Bins!!!!! You are so pretty!! You look exactly the way I pictured you in my head -- seriously! So pretty and so full of life!

From now on I want pictures with every post :-))))

Meenakshi said...

hehehehe... life is cruel??? in this case, tis so amazingly amusing.. Neha sure is a smart kid.. 'cos I know how hard it is to overpower a capricornian in tactics an thoughts (my elder sis is a Capricorn too)

Three cheers to Neha !!!

Swaram said...

Nt fair lady .. U write all this and ask us nt to laugh :(
She is a darling indeed ... gives us so much entertainment :P :P
Btw, ws the pic to prove what an innocent and patient look u hv on urs ;) Nice one btw :)
Rat thing ws simply superb :P
I thot we r descendants of the monkeys ;)

Preethi said...

Ha haaa funny funny.... did you tell her what could happen if she handled sharp objects... straight? Sometimes when you treat children like adults they start behaving like one too..... but then we will not have such stories from you so! :P

Butterfly said...

Reflections: Neha is seriously tricky.

Lakshmi: LOL on your story. Kids are so darn cute.

Ums: Yeah, i surprised myself too.

Agnes: I wish. I can count the number of pics I have of myself. You don't want those scary self pics.

Meenakshi: My capricorn skills are being seriously tested.

Swaram: That kid has wit too. U must see her take me on! :D

Preethi: yes, you wud then not have these interesting stories outta me.

rohini said...

oh such a smart girl....u kn i m also a mother of a 2.5 yrs old son..we too smtimes have an explosive relationship and amusingly he comes back to me...gives me kisses and hugs..its such a nice feeling...but really the poresure goes up when he acts adamntly for choclates or icecreams...OH! he loves damn playing with water....and dear how to restrict him...two days before he went inside the pooja room and joined hands infrnt of god..and said...God...French fries de de na....:-)

G S D said...

First off, great picture! It's been a long time coming.
Secondly, and I thought I had it tough.
I wish parenting was an easier job, then I think of what my parents must have gone through...we all sail in the same boat sooner or later.

colours said...

Oh good God! You just made me sit at my seat in office and laugh like crazy...

What all will you tell about your blogging friends when she starts blogging?

divya said...

Love your post Bins. I can imagine Neha's expressions and you running around trying to look for more stories and excuses to tell her. Brilliant mum-daughter jodi here. :D
Its amazing how Neha comes up with these answers!! :D
Love my cutie pie and wish you the best so that you can come up with all the right answers and can keep up with her. ;)

ps: Love your pic da!!! Very nice. :)

WannabeWriter said...

ha ha ha! Neha is super cool! And great to see you too....finally!:-)

My Kitchen Antics said...

Wow...is that you..u look awesome :)

Butterfly said...

@ Open book: Blush....blush... Yes.

Miss M said...

Damn woman, you ARE HOT!
;)