A little insight

I am an avid thinker. I try and make a difference in the lives of people around me. I make people laugh. My blogs might seem more on the serious side but don't let it fool you into thinking that I am a serious person. I am known more for my quick wit and ability to tickle ribs. I am also very passionate about parenting.
Anyway, as you read along, try and comment. It might just encourage me...



Thursday, November 12, 2009

All in a days work!

Ok, you guys, I am going to blow my own trumpet a bit now. But let me tell you now itself that what I am about to say has a good moral to it!

I received an awesome compliment a few days back. A lady (she is more an acquaintance than a friend). I see her around, as brings her daughter to the sand pit. I am almost a fixture on that sand pit. I am there EVERYDAY! Not to keep an eye on my daughter, but to protect the other kids from her! (Yeah, she gets weird ideas and manages to convince all the other kids that it is the way to go). Anyways, I did chat with this lady a couple of times. I have this way of getting through to people and making them feel like chatting. You will be amazed at the insights I receive on their life at the first meeting! :-D

Back to the lady. She walks up to me as I was chatting with another friend and she says: “Whenever I see Butterfly (I feel really weird addressing myself this way, but please bear with me!), I feel a lot of energy. She has that kind of effect on people.”

Butterfly’s all embarrassed and totally unprepared to receive compliments. If she had told this to me when I was alone, I would have said : Thank you. But there was this other lady around, and I am at a loss for words.

Lady (am so totally unable to recall her name) goes on without realizing that I am embarrassed: “Butterfly, you told me something amazing. It has brought such a change in my attitude. It is very visible to those around me and I have been receiving compliments for the same. I am really happy that I listened to you!”

At this point, I have started turning beet (If that is possible!) obviously nervous at what I might have told her.

Lady: “Butterfly told me that amongst all that I do, I must learn to live for myself too. And from that day on, I have lived a little for myself too. It has changed my outlook completely. I am happier now. I am so thankful to you, Butterfly!”

I guess the lady must have ranted about how there is no time to do anything with caring for her two kids and husband. And I must have given her this advice. I believe in it. I feel that if we do not live for ourselves too, everything else we do will seem like a mundane chore. I tell people that we should do the best in what we were called to do. If it is cooking for your family, do it the best way you can. And at some point in the day, take a little time out for yourself. To maybe just read a book. Whatever. But you must do it.

Also, my everyday life is spent towards making the world around me a better place. In my own little ways. I almost go at it like I am being paid a hefty salary for it! I am focused on improving the quality of my life and those around me. Yes, I do have my moments too, when I feel defeated and depressed. But not for long. My irrepressible spirit fights back and I spring back, happy as ever!

You will often find me carting my friends back and forth on chores. When I head out, I check with people if they have anything to accomplish on that route. I usually have other people’s tiny grocery lists too, as I head to the grocery store. At any given point in time, I baby sit at least 4 kids. There are kids buzzing around me all the time. Though their respective mothers are around, they seem to want to share their stories with me. Half the time I tearing my hair out with all their chatter. Non-stop chatter. I shoo them away and in a minute, they are back. I give up! Many people are often confused as to how many kids I actually have.

My friends refer to me as their ‘F1’ key. Incase people around me have any queries (and you will be surprised at the queries) they check in with me. I am the unofficial : real estate agent, baby sitter, Taxi operator, psychologist, communicator, cookery consultant (and most often, cook too), party organizer (in addition to this, I have to come up with a suitable gifting idea too. And yes, I also buy the gift!), event organizer, motivator, care taker of homes/plants/pets when people take vacation, custodian of keys (I have at least 8 sets of duplicate keys belonging to my friends’ apartments), medical consultant and above all, a friend, to all my friends. While I am at it, I make sure that my home, husband and kid don’t suffer the brunt of my social activities.

One any given day, I am flitting from one cause to the other. My friends know that they can never get a half-baked job out of me. My close friends often laugh at me. They tell me that people are using me. What I tell them is that I am there for people if they need me. I can’t say ‘no’ if people need my help. Most days, I am overwhelmed. And most times, I do not know whether I am going or coming.

I am currently working real hard on a friend who is stuck in a rut. She is unsatisfied with a lot of things in her life and I am helping her appreciate what she has. I am happy to say that she has improved leaps and bounds and seems much happier these days. She is keeping me posted on the improvements and how it is changing her perspective.

I am not professionally qualified in any of the areas I mentioned above, but people rely on me. Because, I give of myself. I am focused on touching people’s lives and what I get out of it is intangible. And that my friends, is the moral of the story. Giving of yourself. There is tremendous happiness in that. If I can motivate more people to do the same, I know that I am successful in my endeavor. That of helping to make this world a better place! It’s worth the try, that’s for sure!

I try and be the change I want to see!




13 comments:

Reflections said...

Marvellous post Bins...I sooo enjoyed it:-))!!!!

And to all who read this post I vouch for the entire contents of this post;-D. She can be a bit hyper for a couch-potato like me but her hearts in the right place.

Love U Bins!!!!!!!!

Swaram said...

Aww thatz so nice of u :) make it too much more :P Glad to know u Bins :)

{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}

Agnes said...

Like Nancy, I really enjoyed this post.

Even though I never met you, I can totally sense that you're such an upbeat person and if you lived in my town we'd be close friends. I really like that you don't take yourself too seriously and can laugh at yourself -- I just love that.

I so agree with your point. I am a happy person because I like myself -- I like myself because I like others and like making a difference in their lives.

Agnes said...

p/s: I accidentally hit "publish" before I was done commenting -- I think I was a typo or two. Happens all the time...

G S D said...

Butterfly...wow that does feel weird, you hit the nail on the head. I wish women would realize, since this is most applicable to us, that if we don't take time out to recharge ourselves, we'll be always be stuck in a rut. Good for you! and I love the Gandhi quote!

Suree said...

So any one of your blog readers can contact you for any help that they need? :P

Lakshmi said...

Felt very nice to read about this Bindu. It is a very nice compliment that your friend gave and a very big difference you made in her life. You seem to be truly the F1 key for all around you. Way to go and at the same time keeping time for yourself. Great going...

Anonymous said...

Butterfly, Oh, Butterfly,
Thank you for coming into my life!
Your presence made me smile
And you have a shoulder to cry !

The caring friend and guide
Who is always by my side.
And you are the one who made
The fun part in me, come outside.

I treasure your friendship
Deep inside my heart
For the best things in life
Are to be taken care a lot.

I know so many ppl feel like this about you and I am very glad they do.

{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}} on this wonderful post.

Sraboney said...

I wish I were like you! Keep it up, F1!

ash's corner said...

Hi Bins,
A few weeks ago you had posted a topic on parenting wherein you had mentioned that if every cell in our child knows that we love him/her then there is no way that we can have a negative impact on him/her. It sure did have an impact on me. I am really glad that I got back in touch with you. Thank you Bins.

Butterfly said...

Phhewww! As I hit the publish button on this post, I thought that it aws a bit way over the top publishing stuff like this. But my main reason stands: I like spreading love, joy and kindness. Last night, I was up till 11 at night creating a costume for my neighbors daughter! It is 4 pm the next day, and that ingrate has not called and told me how it went. These things bother me, but I move on.

Reflections: Thanks da! Thanks for vouching for me.

Swaram: Not bcos u said it to me, but I really like knowing u too. I think I mentioned in one of my comments!

Agnes: I really loved ur comment. The more we give, the more we get. It may not be from the person u direct that love at, but from the universe. I believe in that! And yes, I do feel that we would make great friends! :D

Purple pain: My MIL told me that if we do not eat, we do not have the energy to take care of our family. The same goes with rest and me-time!

Suree: u betcha!

Lakshmi: It really is nice. I did not want to say too much on that. But I make sure that all who interact with me, go away more cheerful than how they came. Like a friend recently said: We may have one funny bone. But butterfly seems to have only one normal bone! :D

Ums: I inspired u to write poetry?? Wow!!! :D Thanx. I know that u mean well and also watched out for when I get hurt from the insensitive nuts around me. Pssst.... like my neigh-bore! :D U must hear the latest!

Bones: Ur blog inspires me. I wish I would read as much as you. See, the feeling is mutual!

Ash: Where have u been? Let's catch up. Yes, I am so glad we are back in touch!

Agnes said...

@Butterfly, :-))))

@UMSREFLECTIONS, wow!!!!!!! I mean, WOOOWWWWWW!!!!

Jane said...

It's lovely to know you're that kind of friend that people can count on. I hope people never disappoint you enough to want to stop being that way. And congrats on pulling off a great Children's day programme :D