A little insight

I am an avid thinker. I try and make a difference in the lives of people around me. I make people laugh. My blogs might seem more on the serious side but don't let it fool you into thinking that I am a serious person. I am known more for my quick wit and ability to tickle ribs. I am also very passionate about parenting.
Anyway, as you read along, try and comment. It might just encourage me...



Saturday, October 31, 2009

Playing Footsie

When I went for my daughter's last PTA, along with the progress report, we were given a discount coupon from a recently opened Beauty Salon. The salon was run by the parents’ of my daughter’s classmate. Being more interested in the matter at hand, I just shoved the coupon into my purse. I am not much into these salons. I have a lady who comes home and takes care of my basic beauty requirements (how cool is that!!!). It is only for pedicures that I venture out of my comfort zone. I can be considered the resident expert on pedicures offered by the salons in my area.

So here I am, aching for a pedicure and this new salon has been calling out to me. With my husband doing the babysitting, I darted off to this salon with my neighbor N (who happens to be rather new to the city). I told N that being a Pratyusha (my daughter’s school) mom entitles me to a discount. I was delirious with joy to discover that it was a 50% discount!! After the exchange of pleasantries, we settled down to business. There were two pedicure stations set up side by side. At the initial glance I knew something was amiss. But I guessed that they would work it out. I don’t really like to jump the gun and create a fuss. So patiently I waited as the procedure began. I could immediately make out that the two stations were distinctly different from the other. And so were the people attending to us.

I had a basin to soak my feet. By the time the lady filled the basin and went back to heat more water, it would already be cold. I was slowly boiling with anger. Then she began scrubbing. I had to tell her to stop, for fear that she was skinning me. It hurt that much. Then the cleaning under the nails felt almost as if she was trying to scoop out my nails. I had a clear understanding of what it must have felt like in a ‘concentration camp’! It just went on and on this like this. Then she gets up, tells me that her client has come ( duh, what was I??) and hands me over to another lady. This old and skinny lady looked like she would die as she massaged (and clawed) at my legs. I actually asked her to stop. Then she started clumping the nail polish on my nails. I just could not take it anymore, asked her to stop and told her that my 5-year old can apply nail paint better. Yes, I was pissed!

While I was being subjected to this obvious torture, I saw my friend relaxing at her station with a magazine in hand, totally enjoying herself. The seat she, had that bubbling hot water contraption, a holder to rest the leg for scrubbing. And the quality of the pedicure itself was so different and meticulous (the resident expert is talking!!!). She finished off by wiping her leg and feet with a wet hot towel and applied the nail paint with love. Witnessing this preferential treatment, was painful. I was contemplating on letting the owner know what I felt about her Salon.

As we footing the bill, without even checking, she applied a blanket discount too. So not only did my friend get the better end of the deal, she walked away with a discount too!!! Yes, my life sucks!! Hey, I have nothing against my friend getting the discount, but look at my rotten luck!!

The reason I am not really big into discounts is because I always end up regretting it. If it is a product/equipment, it won’t last. If it is a dress, u can bet your ass that it will tear/is already torn/ or won’t survive the first wash. Once recently, I had visited another new beauty salon for a pedicure (yeah, I like the works when it comes to pedicure and besides I don’t do it as often as I would like to. So I really have big expectations of this). The pedicure was awesome. The lady told me that I am entitled to a free facial. I declined the offer. The lady got slightly offended and told me that I should not consider it so-so, just because it is free. I still declined. No free stuff for me. Thanks. What is the point in having nice feet and scarred face. No thanks! I must have looked like a jack ass to her!!! I mean, who does not like freebies. But it just does not work for me. The moment I see the word ‘free’, I am sure there is something wrong with it!

My question to you is: Would you go back and give the owner of that Salon a dressing down? What would you say? I am contemplating between never going back and going back, letting her have it, and making it work for me.

P.S: Now you would say: Serves you right! Why don’t you find a nice salon and stick to it? Well, these places were much closer home. Since time is always a scarcity for me, a parlor near-by, is always better.

P.S again: When my friend and I were leaving the salon after that eventful pedicure, the lady handed us compliments. My friend opened her pack. It was a mirror case. Since we got the same thing, I did not bother opening. Much later when I did open it, one mirror came off in my hand!! Stop laughing, you guys!!! Don’t laugh at my misery! Stop it, NOW!!!

P.S: yet again: For all those who read this post because of the title, shame on you!!!

15 comments:

Sraboney said...

Why didn't you say something? I would have...

Swaram said...

OMG! U must hv given it to her rt there! So much of visible difference! Just too much! U should nt hv paid her the money @ all!

Indy said...

No harm telling the owner as it would prevent them from taking others for a ride too! :) and chee chee, I didn't even understand the title...honest!

Agnes said...

I would have said something, for sure.
So someone comes to your house and does your hair, threading, etc? That is so cool!!!!

Nupur said...

Hahaha at your 'P.S. yet again' :)

Jane said...

I loved this post for 2 reasons:

1. It was hilarious!
2. I LOVE pedicures...PLEASE tell me of good places in Sec...I only know of ONE salon called Reflections Spa and I feel it's a little too pricey...so I have yet to try their pedicures. It's all the fancy stuff like chocolate pedicure (sad waste of chocolate in my opinion) or some other irrelevant ingredient like crushed petals of a rare blue rose from the Himalayas (kidding). But if the pedicure is worth it then I really don't mind paying. I have had my share of the painful versions. I really think you should have blasted that lady then n there but now I just think you shouldn't bother going back EVER. And WHO is this awesome lady who drops by your place?

Solilo said...

Bins, Do make it a point to let that lady know. WTH!

Anonymous said...

OMG !!!! Cant stop laughing.....

But I feel that you should given a piece of your mind. Then, at least you would have felt better.

Now, I am on the hunt for a gud parlor, near my home. Lets see what luck I face.

Kelvy said...

humm u should have told something na...but i can undertsnd ur situation, i too have come out of places like this lol.... and recently the usual parlor i go to, did a manicure and pedicure by scrubbing my skin out and i had the scars and swelling for days....ahh i hate the parlor things all together...wish there was some other way out..

Reflections said...

LOL...have u heard of the hindi phrase "footi kismet";-D

That way I'm very lucky....and I believe its because I believe...get what I mean???
U've got to have faith, belief that u r going to get the best;-D.

Next time try it out;-D!!!!!!

My Kitchen Antics said...

i would have def said something to the salon owner or atleast to the one in charge and if they had a visitors book or something i would have been nasty there too...been there done that!!!
we pay money for a service and we expect a certain amount of responsibility...

Lakshmi said...

Feel your pain, how can a pedicure hurt. You should definitely say something.

They must not accept the discount coupon and give inferior service, that totally dismisses the valu of the coupon!

ash's corner said...

I agree with all here, you should let her know of what happened. If she really wants her salon to do well she would surely make amends. After all "THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT".

G S D said...

I have to admit...I read this piece because of the title!!
Isn't the first cardinal rule of freebie customer service: give them the best coz they'll come back to you again.
But also have to add that me being me, I just can't seem to get the whole beauty regime thing. I'm sorry you had such a bad time of it, but you gave me a fabulous idea. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I think you should tell her politely that you had expected better and you were disappointed, tell them how the water was cold, and that you are aware that their service is not always bad and you you saw another customer being provided better service, and inquire is the services are different for 'discount' customer, "because if they are then maybe you should discuss it with other mothers also"...

It must have been frustrating!! I am late here, what did you do?