A little insight

I am an avid thinker. I try and make a difference in the lives of people around me. I make people laugh. My blogs might seem more on the serious side but don't let it fool you into thinking that I am a serious person. I am known more for my quick wit and ability to tickle ribs. I am also very passionate about parenting.
Anyway, as you read along, try and comment. It might just encourage me...



Wednesday, September 9, 2009

How about some Cake?

I have some new developments to share. I have been mulling over it for a few days now but the seeds of thought were sown about 2 years back. Finally, after much thought and deliberation, I have decided to get into it. “What?” you ask? Baking. I mean not just baking and eating it all myself. But baking, as in trying it out professionally. I send out my first two orders yesterday. I am really excited.

I got into it this, quite by accident. After my first attempt at baking, I was put off for many years. When the oven that I got as a gift for my mother-in-law ended up at my house, and it began calling out to me, I just tried it out on a lark. And I found out that I was good at it. Then the compliments followed and then requests for taking orders. But I was not too sure. I thought people were just pepping me up. Then one cake after the other, I began experimenting. I just kept looking out for every single opportunity to take a cake along with me. Now either those people were really hungry and happy at the free dessert or maybe I really was good at it, I was not too sure, then.(Yeah, yeah, call me over. I will bring cake.)

In fact last year, my dear friend Uma (quite a savvy baker, herself) and I, actually put up a stall and baked like crazy people. The result. Every single piece was sold. We were smiling from ear to ear.

I have some people that I experiment on, in the name of Coffee Meets!! Thank you my dear guineas for egging me on and being ready to try any cake that I bake. Thanks to you, I have the guts to try it out on others too!

I have been doing some research in the past few days as to where I should be sourcing my ingredients from and how to price the cakes. I am sure that I do not want to compromise on quality and will sell only to people serious about having a good cake and eating it too! I am really passionate about baking and my two key ingredients in all my cakes are passion and love! Now we can’t measure or price that. So I am doing this with one very clear intent. I want people to enjoy cakes.

After embarking on bake street, I must say this: There is nothing like a home-made cake. No amount of tempting is going to get me to actually buy that cake from a shop anymore. Not only are they over-priced but am told that they use cream made out of Soy (a cheap way of substituting fresh cream) in those cream-based cakes. If you have a thing for cakes and you indulge in those cream cakes, you are unknowingly inviting health troubles. It may not have any immediate bearing, but you are risking your health in the future. I have also read that giving your children products with soy as an ingredient in them is like giving them a birth control pill. It has some great potential to harm, as girls are gaining puberty at very early ages these days and soy is known to be the potential culprit. Please do read up more on this and check with your doctors. This bit of news was enough to scare the jeebies outta me. So, if you feel like eating cakes, buy the ones without the cream toppings.


This is one of my hot favorites:

Chocolate Temptation

And, I made this one today (this picture is borrowed as my pictures did not turn out well):


Cappucino Cake with White Chocolate Topping

Cake, anyone?

14 comments:

Reflections said...

Good luck with ur new venture Bins:-))!!!!!

Cappucino Cake with White Chocolate Topping sounds really yummm.

Infact u can open up a 2nd blog where u can record ur baking orders & show it to ur potential clients....it will double up as advertising as well as keep us informed abt ur latest creations.

No, no, no[Nancy shakes her head and waves her hand] u dont have to pay me for these marvellous ideas. Anything for family!!!!!

Butterfly said...

For the time being, it is just by word of mouth. I am not too sure I can handle huge orders. I have already got two regular orders to fulfill. I am going easy on this.

And you know what? It was yum! :D

Butterfly said...

@ Nancy:I was already warned by a friend about taking on too many assignments. And this might last only for as long as I am at home. :D At least this way, i can experiment as much as my heart desires. :D

Swaram said...

Welcome home Bins :P

Juz kidding re .. I mean u r def. welcome home but nt for the cake :)

Me nt a big cake lover; only the Onam Sadya! thatz wat I hv my eyes upon ;)

U totally rock with cakes! Gosh! Too gud!

U n Uma hv a gr8 time na :) Wow! Gotta think abt shifting my home there :P

Anonymous said...

Congrats to the woman entrepreneur !!!! I am so thrilled for you !!!

Knowing you very well, I would like to add that Dear !!! This is business - you need not be ur helpfully kind with your customers. Be very business like and make some profit. OK ????

Oh ! that cappucino cake was awesome blossom !!! The taste is still lingering in my mouth.

Keep going woman !! I'll tell everybody I can.

My Kitchen Antics said...

Butterfly...i jus tyoed a long comment and it jus disappeared. I wonder whats wrong. Anyways, cutting it short..gud luck with ur new expedition, im sure you'l be a big hit. And yes the cappuccino cake looks heavenly.

Solilo said...

Bins, If I open my mouth now, the room will flood.

Drooooooooooooool!

Uma and you bake together and sell too? Okay! can you please send some this way.

I have to meet to you guys now. Please treat me to some cake then.

Suree said...

I love plain cakes with out any cream on them , not becoz of the reason which u said that they have some Soy or anyhirng just becoz i dont like the cream..

any ways all the best for ur new venture...

Why dont u train few people like you and start taking more assignemnts..

How abt opening a chain of Cake shops.call it Cakery(derived from bakery:P)

Jane said...

They are look yum! Wishing you all the best. May the Lord guide you in this amazing journey. If you have an address where I can drop by for this magical stuff you create please do let me know :D

Butterfly said...

@Swaram: The day we meet for dinner at home, Onam Sadya it is for u! :D Come it off and live at our complex, we do have loads of fun.

@Uma: U are there, na? Besides you know me. I have decided that if somebody bugs me, The cake is gonna b on their face!

@ Open book: You have not posted in a while.

@Solilo: :D Come on over!

@Suree: I doubt I want to take on so much so soon. Cakery occurred to me, too.

@Shades of Grey: Sure you can drop by. Do u stay in the secunderabad area??

dolphin said...

Wow! Congratulations and Best Wishes to u on ur new venture. Hey this is really very inspiring, Bindu. I love cakes especially the chocolate... ;D (get the hint). Great going...

divya said...

Allllll the best on your new venture. I am 100% sure you will be great at it as I know how yummy your cakes are! My mouth is already watering just thinking about them.
You have fun making cakes. I am jealous of all your lucky customers. :)
p.s: I am still waiting for your cake recipe. Or is it a secret now?? ;)

colours said...

Oh YUMMY!!! They look delicious... can you share the recipe with a hungry soul in Europe?

Jane said...

Yup I stay in Secunderabad :D