A little insight

I am an avid thinker. I try and make a difference in the lives of people around me. I make people laugh. My blogs might seem more on the serious side but don't let it fool you into thinking that I am a serious person. I am known more for my quick wit and ability to tickle ribs. I am also very passionate about parenting.
Anyway, as you read along, try and comment. It might just encourage me...



Sunday, August 30, 2009

Feasting

Have you seen the movie ‘No Reservations’ which stars Catherine Zeta-Jones and Aaron Eckhart? It is not an amazing movie or anything. I just happened to catch it as I was flicking through the channels on TV. You see, I am usually under pressure to watch something on TV. I must, must watch some TV everyday. I don’t know why, but I must watch. Usually after my little girl has hit the bed at night, I try and catch up on TV. Whoever said that housewives can lounge around the whole day and watch TV, needs some serious medication. I am speaking for most housewives here, when I say that we have to really push other stuff around and steal time to watch TV. So at the end of the day, you might have some work looking at you in the face, waiting to be done. But what the heck!

I did wander a bit now, didn’t I?? Ok, now in this movie, Catherine Zeta-Jones is a master chef (with a typically type A personality), at a restaurant. Every dish that is made is crafted to perfection. I am going to deal with that aspect of the movie. For the rest of the story, you have to watch the movie.

I kind of felt a little like that today. Actually, I feel like that all the time in my kitchen. I feel like - a master chef. To me, cooking is a great stress-buster. And I cannot even begin to tell you how much I like feeding people. I am meeting so many like minded people these days, personally and in the blog world. Women who take serious pride in what they do. Women, who have left their demanding careers behind to pursue the even more demanding job of a homemaker. Gone are the days when people looked down upon our lot!

Yesterday, I spent my morning doing what I love best. Cooking. I treated two of my close friends and their families, to an authentic Onam lunch. Served on the Banana leaf and all. Though I did not make all the dishes, I made nine of most famous ones. And I had the time of my life doing it. One dish after the other left the stove and I was done with the cooking, way ahead of time. So well planned and executed it was. I was pleased with myself and the outcome. Usually, I would be cooking even after the guests have arrived and I would be mad as hell if someone crosses my path. But this time it was handled very differently. My friends (lovely as they are), offered to come over and help. ‘Cause there is some seriously crazy amount of cooking involved. But I would have none of it. I am not very good at handling a crowd in the kitchen. It is too confusing.

Check out the spread!!



The instructions to my husband and daughter are very simple. Steer clear of my kitchen. Usually, my daughter wanders about and wrecks havoc. But Mr. Bean entertained her rather well today. I think she was just scared that I would actually cancel the lunch and she would not get to have fun with her friends. I have to throw such idle threats about (bad mommy that I am), to get my way.

So people, do come on over. Mi casa es su casa.

15 comments:

Reflections said...

Looks absolutely delicious, I'm coming right over;-D

But I thought Onam was on 2nd sept...did I get it wrong;-o????

Swaram said...

Wow! Yum :P

Sob sob :( U dint serve me something like that :(

So, u hd a gr8 time this weekend na! Cool :)

Jane said...

Wonderful stuff man! Couldn't agree with you more on so many levels. Yup and the movie was quite ordinary but I loved how much Cath seemed to find solace in her cooking. Another must watch is Ratatouille!

Butterfly said...

@ Reflections: U r right. Onam is sep 2. But none of these guys get the day off from work.

@Swaram: Don't u worry, girl. Once we meet up, we will fix up some occasion for feasting.

@Shades of Grey: I watched the promos of Ratatouille. U see, I can only watch movies that come post 9 pm.

Anonymous said...

OOOOHHHHH !!!! The spread looks so gud. Yummy yummy dishes...

Oh ! I am yet to watch that movie. I missed it so many times.

My Kitchen Antics said...

I now so badly want an onam sadya. I have been searching online for a south Indian restaurant that has a sadya, but no luck:(
I guess il just have to make rice and parippu curry and thoran at home and be satisfied with it. Happy Onam

Agnes said...

Nancy and I will be right over!

Butterfly said...

An Open Book: Oh u poor thing! I know how u feel. There must be some mallu association that does it. Happy Onam to u too.

Agnes: I am gonna go get the leaves in anticipation!

Solilo said...

Bins, Kill me..will ya? I mean you show me this yum spread and either you share with me now or just kill me. No control over the drool. :D

I don't want to cook but I want to eat all those things. Me miss Kerala and Onasadya. :(((((((((

Kelvy said...

hehe wow gr8 goin dear... its a pain to make so many dishes...and barvo u made so much and served it on the leaf too...
Ahh my mom made a few good sadhya dishes yesterday and i loved it...had payasam too and today goin to cousin's place for an onam sadya at nite

Swaram said...

:grrrrrrr I got to know got to know!

Cheating :(

colours said...

Oh Yummy!!!! You have inspired me to do the same next time my husband is here or with my colleagues next week.

Butterfly said...

Solilo: :D Lemme kill u with hospitality. :D

Enigma:I just love all the feasting we get to do as long as it is once in a while.

Swaram: OMG. I am done for! I better make amends quickly.

Colours: Go for it, girl!!!

WannabeWriter said...

That spread looks real great! I am quite proud of myself too in fact. We were working yesterday because no holidays here. So I thought I won't be doing any sadya. But luckily my work finished early and I reached home at 4. So after that I did teh shopping and made a mini sadya in 2 hours...only sambaar, aviyal, pineapple pachadi, thoran and payasam. Usually, in my sadya, one dish is great, another is good and another is okay. This time my husband said all of them get a 10/10!!! :D I was so proud...in spite of a breaking back!

colours said...

Bins... I chickened out!!!!! I should take inspiration from your post before the next festival...