A little insight

I am an avid thinker. I try and make a difference in the lives of people around me. I make people laugh. My blogs might seem more on the serious side but don't let it fool you into thinking that I am a serious person. I am known more for my quick wit and ability to tickle ribs. I am also very passionate about parenting.
Anyway, as you read along, try and comment. It might just encourage me...



Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Anchor Ahoy!

There are some people who change their location very frequently or in some cases, often enough. Legend has it that such people have the formation of circles under their big toe (like how finger prints have ridge and circle formations etc). Such people apparently are always on the move. Well, me thinks mine has the formation of an anchor! A heavy one at that!

When I was courting my, then boyfriend, now husband, I hardly got to see him because of his travel. He was either in the US or UK. When our wedding date was announced, the first thing that happened was that, the department he was working with, got scrapped, and he was realigned to a desk job. My anchor kicked in by then already! :D I had by then, daydreamed about taking a break from work and traveling around the world. Fat chance of that happening. And just when I was about to travel on work to the UK, I got pregnant! But while my anchor anchors me, it has a total opposite effect on those around me. Magnetic polarity or some such thing.

Of late, I have noticed an alarming trend. I have realized that as I get close to somebody, they relocate. All those who want to relocate, please form a queue. I am going to charge from now on. I will try and make some money in my misery! :D Much like the Visa God!! Ha! Ha!

A few days back, my dear friend, Uma, broke the news to me that she is relocating to Chennai. From then, people have been asking me, how I am taking it. Well, I have taken the hit 4-5 already in the past year. I am kind of used to it now. I have made scores of friends who have been scattered to all parts of the world. It is becoming increasingly difficult to keep track of all these people. And now I am beginning to get confused as to who I knew from where. Old age, I guess!

Jokes apart, I am going to miss Uma. It is good fun to have her around. Though we are of the same age, she married early and has two teenage daughters. While I, have a 5-year old. She is my ready reckoner on a lot of topics including parenting. But of course, her kids were (and are) a lot calmer. And she often has her head in her hands as she hears of Neha’s latest capers. We hit it off well on many grounds, be it cooking or shopping or whatever. We would even dislike the same kind of people. And whenever something odd or funny happens near us, all we had to do was exchange glances and we would have a great laugh over it later! It is amazing how she combines old world charm and modernity with so much ease.

Neha was so upset when she heard they are moving. She said, “What is this, mamma? Everybody is going. Let us also move to America!” America is the ultimate destination for her. First I have to unhook that anchor! Lemme get working on that first! Too bad we cannot change our finger prints! :D

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bins, Whats all these ???? (sob, sob) Even though both of us laugh and move around, the sadness of leaving is just too much to bear, for me.

Yeah, I knew, you were there for me, for anything I ask you and I am glad you too feel the same. (more sobbing continues....)

I just didnt expect everything to be put on a post (now crying....)

I'll miss you so much...and Neha so so much....

As Neha says, Come on, Make that move to America !!!! :)

Reflections said...

Hahahahahahahahahaha........this post is just soooo funny./..I was hooting from the 1st para;-D

But yeah jokes apart...I'm sorry to hear abt ur friend moving away. As we grow older it gets increasingly difficult to 'find' friends who match ur same wavelength.

I'm sorry I cant offer a solution but can say something to divert ur attention.....this definitely is one of ur best posts;-D

Swaram said...

:(

So, u planning to move to America too!!!!

ash's corner said...

You are surely going to miss ur friend. :(. But Chennai is not really very far. And then there are always the vacations, the internet.........:D.

Anonymous said...

Your description of a friend is perfect!
...cooking or shopping or whatever. We would even dislike the same kind of people. And whenever something odd or funny happens near us, all we had to do was exchange glances and we would have a great laugh over it later!

Even dislike the same people because you share the same values :)

I like to keep moving to and living in many, different cities :) No anchor dropping for me ... prefer to keep sailing, let em check if I have 'chakras' in my big toes :)

Solilo said...

Aww....Bins. :(

Just remembered my growing up years. Since Dad was in transferable job, we moved and made friends a lot. Actually in the long run, I feel it is good because you have friends in every corner of the world but still miss them.

Ummu and you are bestest friends, right. Hugs.

Solilo said...

Bins, Seeing your friendship with Ummu. I remember a beautiful quote from 'Bride wars'. :D

"Sometimes in life there really are bonds formed that can never be broken. Sometimes you really can find that one person who will stand by you no matter what. Maybe you'll find it in a spouse and celebrate it with your dream wedding, but theres also the chance that the one person you can count on for a lifetime, the one person who knows you sometimes better than you know yourself is the same person who's been standing beside you all along. "

ash's corner said...

I do understand how you feel about this coz have been thru the same twice. But then Chennai is not that far from secunderabad. And then there is always the net.

:D

Indy said...

It must be hard when a close friend moves away!!! UMS is your friend? how nice to hear that! :) :)

Kelvy said...

wow, i have been away from bloggin for a few days and i had to catch up on so many of ur posts... all were gr8 specially the birthday party one...
ya i can undertsnd its hard to hav friends moving awaya and all...But good that the internet is there to keep in touch with people all over the world :)

Agnes said...

That's funny.... Geoff was just telling me he wouldn't mind moving to India...